Human Rights and Equity
SFUFA Equity Committee
The SFUFA Equity Committee is dedicated to human rights and equity. Its mandate is to address equity issues related to faculty across all sectors of the university and within the Association, propose policy changes, advise the SFUFA Executive Committee on any matters requiring attention, acquire and share relevant information, and conduct member-engagement initiatives as appropriate.
Priorities that the Equity Committee is addressing in 2022-2023:
- Reviewing SFU workload policies
- Supporting members with disabilities
Examples of issues that the Equity Committee addressed are:
- The impact of COVID-19 on faculty in a joint project with SFU Academic Women and SFUFA. The report “Invisible Struggles: Impacts of COVID-19 on SFUFA Members” may be accessed here.
- SFU and SFUFA Salary Anomaly Joint Committee recommendations and report are available here.
The Equity Committee blog “Tales from the Mountain (and Beyond)” may be found here.
Members of the SFUFA Equity Committee are representatives from various Faculties. The Chair of the Committee is a member of the SFUFA Executive Committee. The Terms of Reference (ToR) may be found here.
Members (Fall 2022 – Summer 2023):
- Ouldooz Baghban Karimi, Computing Science
- Kumari Beck, Faculty of Education
- Leanna Jantzi, SFU Library
- Mohsen Javdani, School of Public Policy and Urban Studies
- Krishna Pendakur, Department of Economics
- Bidisha Ray, Department of History
- Jennifer Scott, SFUFA
- Ljiljana Trajkovic, Faculty of Applied Sciences (Chair)
SFUFA members are encouraged to suggest areas of concern and engage with the Committee.