There are any number of sources for research support which are available to faculty members, both external to the University and provided or administered by SFU.
The major granting councils can be found online:
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) – formerly the Medical Research Council
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
- Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI)
- Canada Research Chairs Program
- Networks of Centres of Excellence (NCE)
- Tri-Council (CIHR, NSERC AND SSHRC)
SFU’s listing of current funding opportunities, which includes current competitions for some of the above, can be accessed here.
During research terms and study leaves, members may also arrange for a portion of salary to be treated as a research grant for tax purposes.
New faculty members in tenure-track appointments may also want to investigate President’s Research Start-Up Grants.
Research Support Services
SFU also provides support for researchers in the seeking of and application for funds from external sources.
For overall support, the Office of Research Services is your starting point.
Grants facilitators, liaison officers and other supports are available, and can be accessed here.